Desciptive Reflection: Self-intro Letter

Dear Professor Brad Blackstone,

 

 My name is Jerome Nathaniel Goh and I am writing to you this email to introduce myself. Before pursuing a Degree in Mechanical Design and Manufacturing Engineering, I previously completed a Technical Engineering Diploma in Machining Technology in Institute of Technical Education where I found a great interest in procuring tools and parts in the engineering sector. Initially, I wasn't keen on engineering as the idea of touching grease and oil disgust me. However, that mindset shifted as I was working on my final year project when I was given the opportunity to collaborate with procurement engineers that shared with me their job scope. It fascinates me to see the process of engineers coming together with the same goal to fabricate innovative solutions. Communication with my peers has been one of my strongest traits. During a project fair, I was given the opportunity to interact with industry leaders and had open discussions. It was then I realized there was an untapped potential in my communication ability. However, there are still many areas of improvement that can be worked on. Pacing is one area that I have struggled with occasionally where there are times I would speak too fast and my train of thought starts to fall apart. Ultimately, this leads to me fumbling and feeling embarrassed. Throughout these 12 weeks in UCS1001, there are 2 goals I hope to accomplish, apart from verbal communication, it is also essential to be fluent in communicating written. The ability to write professionally will be a great asset as a lifelong skill regardless of any industry I may be in. The other goal is to become a better classmate. Beyond the classroom, there will be many future co-workers that will have different characters, strengths and weaknesses. Despite my unorthadox pathway, I am confident that these goals are achievable and will set me apart from a typical engineer.


Yours Sincerely,

Jerome Nathaniel Goh



Comments

  1. Great transitioning and flow of the letter. Good content in explaining your communication strength and weaknesses. I also like how you link your goals to what differentiate you from the rest. However, I notice a grammar error at the start of the letter "Proffesor" and it will be nice to also elaborate a little bit more about your background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jerome,

    Thank you for this mostly clear, concise letter. I appreciate the brevity. It's interesting to us readers to learn about your educational experience. What would enhance this is explaining why you chose engneering in the first place.

    You do give more detail on the comm skills weakness in terms of speaking, such as fumbling and managing your pacing. Speaking coherently is a common area of concern, one that we already have started focusing on. Please take all opportunities in class to manage what you say as much as possible. A few other issues in this post are:

    1. sentence structure/spelling
    -- Throughout this 12 weeks in UCS1001, there are 2 goals I hope to accomplish, apart from verbal communication, it is also important to be fluent in communicating writenly. > ?

    2. spelling
    -- I strongly belief... > ?

    3. lack of clarity
    -- I was given the opportunity to interact with industry leaders and had open discussions. > When? Where? How?

    4. overuse of caps

    I look forward to getting to know more about you in the next couple months.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of Communication Skills

Summery Draft 2